Monday, January 19, 2009

We'll Solve Your Problem So You Can Do It Again!

I don't know if this is a brilliant retention technique, good insight into the target market's mindset, or just bad copywriting:

On the train last week, I saw an ad for a credit counseling / debt consolidation organization. Basically, it showed an image of an ecstatic guy giving an enthusiastic endorsement. Something like "Thanks to them, soon I'll be able to afford a vacation, a new car, and maybe even my own house!"

Yes, in that order.
Quite the prioritization.
I think the term "vicious cycle" may apply.

Imagine if other advertisers took the same approach...
"Weight Watchers helped me take off so many inches that now I can go gorge myself on a buffet every weekend, take that two week all-inclusive cruise, or maybe even buy some nice new clothes!"

"This cancer treatment was so effective that I'm going to start smoking again, and maybe even spend more quality time with my kids!"

"These lawyers were so great in getting me early parole that now I can stab an old lady, rob a convenience store, or maybe even apply for a legitimate job!"

No comments: