Thursday, January 15, 2009

How I'll Know The Economy Is Bad

You can probably tell from some of my past posts that I think much of the doom-and-gloom about the economy is overblown. I'm willing to acknowledge that there are lots of problems, though.

However, here's the signal that will tell me that things are actually as bad as people say:

I'll get amazing service from every business I contact.


Three reasons:

1. Companies need to try harder to win my business. They're more desperate and desperation leads to extreme actions.

2. Companies that are laying off workers will start by eliminating the worst ones, improving the average. (Though, this also means more workload for those who remain, but I believe that the best workers will be able to handle this)

3. Companies that are hiring workers (whether through growth or just to replace those in #2) will have a bigger bucket of prospects to choose from, including a lot of great people.

We're not there yet, at least not where I live.

I still speak with phone reps who sound like they're just awakening from a coma.
I still face retail staff who'd rather hit on their cute coworker that talk to any customers.
I still find obvious mistakes in invoices and receipts.
I still read basic spelling and grammar errors on signs, menus, and even in newspaper columns.
I still know that half the products I buy are going to fall apart before their time.
...

When the day comes that I'm thoroughly impressed by the service I've received all day, I'll really start to worry.

No comments: