Friday, October 24, 2008

See What I Mean?

Looking back at my last post, check out this bit of purposely-shocking "reporting":

My RSS reader shows me the headline: "Wall Street set for dive after futures freeze"
I then click through to this article, titled: "Wall Street plunges at open on recession fears"
The article, though incredibly short, uses a couple more fun adjectives and verbs, like "plummeted" and "dumped".

Not only do the two headlines not even match up, but there's no information in the article about "futures" specifically. And not even any evidence, quotes, or analysis to confirm that today's dive/plunge is related to recession fears at all. Beyond this, the drop it talks about is about 4 to 6%. Hardly the biggest or fastest change we've seen in recent months. AND... if today is like most others recently, the markets will probably "rally back" at some point and recover a lot of this value.

I understand that fear-mongering is a major part of journalists' jobs, but every day I feel like they're trying harder and harder to collaboratively push towards a particular result or sentiment among consumers.

No comments: