Sunday, April 20, 2008

First and Last Notes

One day, I'll get around to chronicling the ridiculous customer experience situation I went through when buying a new jetted bathtub for our house.

For now, let me summarize by saying that it took over six months before I actually received the correct product in working order and was able to install it.

In the end, blame for the various problems fell on both the tub manufacturer and the retailer I bought it from. Problems included the "local" warranty repair person being located about three hours away, the wrong products being either ordered or shipped (I'm still not sure which was the case) several times, product arriving in broken condition, and slow responses from the companies involved, and an and on.

Finally, though, the right thing was delivered in proper condition. Obviously, we weren't too happy about the delays and problems. Because of the various issues we were out of pocket for related materials that we could no longer use, we were without the use of a bathroom for months, we lost a lot of storage space holding other construction materials for the room, and we spent countless hours on the phone, traveling too and from the store, waiting for delivery people, etc.

Anyways, before I end up writing the whole tale, here's my point: I still like the retailer, but I will never buy from the manufacturer again.

I think I'd be justified in disliking both parties equally. But, the difference came down to treating me properly and fairly.

The retailer was always responsive (if a bit slow) to our concerns. In the end, they compensated us financially for the problems. They didn't hesitate to try to make things write. They spent I-don't-know-how-much on deliveries (which they normally charge for), picking up broken tubs, and other extra expenditures.

The manufacturer, on the other hand, hasn't even bothered to contact me to apologize or check that everything worked out alright. Now, normally I wouldn't expect them to do anything-- the retailer is the intermediary after all. But in this case:
a.) The product comes with a very clear message in the instructions to contact the manufacturer directly if there are any problems.
and
b.) The small amount of contact I did have with the manufacturer and their representatives early on in the process was poor.

Back in elementary school, our music teacher would drill into us the importance of hitting the first and last notes of a song perfectly, because that's what the audience will remember most.

Same thing goes here. I remember the manufacturer bumbling early on, and I remember the retailer helping us out at the end. And its meant the difference between keeping or losing me (and anyone I tell about this) as a valuable customer -- the only difference that really matters in marketing.

No comments: