Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Extra Shiny (But is it current?)

Following up on my previous post about presenting timely information vs. deep or broad information...

In that post, I wondered about Google's brand direction, using their presentation of real-time stock data as an example of "currency".

Now they've released something pretty neat that demonstrates the opposite (yet complementary) side: lots and lots of detail.

Teaming up with Disney, Google Earth now allows you to explore a highly detailed virtual Disney World.

Very fun, but is it particularly useful? Can I plan a trip to the real Disney World better because of this? Will I better remember past trips there, using this like a computer-generated photo album?

Google's brand is supposedly about presenting all the world's information in an easy-to-find-and-use way. This certainly succeeds, though I think it will be a gazillion times better if overlaid with real-time data.

Imagine if I could "fly" through the virtual park, see a ride that interests me, zoom in, and immediately learn valuable information? Not just facts and figures, images from the past, etc. but current line-ups, maintenance schedules for the next few weeks, how the ride might be effected by current weather conditions, and so on?

Just some thoughts.
I'm still eager to see where Google is taking their brand in regards to timeliness vs. depth.

Here's a video someone has made using Google Earth. (Warning: You will get the French version of It's a Small World stuck in your brain).

No comments: