Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Subject To Flooding

One of my biggest pet peeves is pointing out problems but not fixing them.

I drove past an example yesterday. Instead of improving the drainage, raising the road, or making some other real change, the city decided to erect a sign that says "Road Subject To Flooding".
Thanks, that's really helpful.

So, you know there's a problem.
You know that it's a big enough problem to make note of.
You know that it's a long-term problem (this wasn't a temporary sign).
You're willing to pay for a sign to be made and installed.

But actually fixing or minimizing the problem? Nope.

What exactly is the point of posting the sign, anyway? To warn me to take a different route when it's rainy? To inform me of the reason my car just stalled? Or just to make me aware of something I probably noticed myself?

To paraphrase Brian Regan's discussion on Blasting Zones... "Shouldn't the sign say 'Road Closed'?"

No comments: