Friday, April 3, 2009

New Laws

A bit of a rant today...

I don't understand why new laws are constantly introduced to reflect changes in technology.

For example, lawmakers and various "rights" advocates are getting all lawmake-y about Google Streetview. But isn't it covered by some of our country's gazillion existing laws?

Photography's not new.
Distribution systems aren't new.
Public places aren't new.
Archives aren't new.

Why do we need to treat something that simply combines all these things in a new, easy to use way as if it's a completely foreign concept?

Or, another example:
Many places are looking at introducing new laws to outlaw not just cell phones in general, but texting in particular while driving.

Is this really necessary? I agree with the idea behind this type of restriction, but there are plenty of existing laws about exercising "due care and attention" while driving. Whether I'm distracted by a cell phone, a pretty cloud in the sky, a crying baby, or a Nickelback song on the radio (thus requiring me to change stations immediately), the basic fact is that I'm distracted. The person I swerve my car into doesn't care what distracted me.

No comments: