Sunday, February 22, 2009

You CAN Argue With Success

Formulas vs. Methods

I've been taking year-old dog to training classes ever since we first got him a few months ago. So far, he's been to two different trainers as he progresses through the lessons. In addition, I've developed a minor addiction to dog training TV shows like The Dog Whisperer and At The End of My Leash. It didn't take long to realize that there can be a huge variation in techniques from trainer to trainer.

Some say "No treats to bribe your dog!", while others say "Use whatever works to get his attention."
Some insist on a close, tight leash that's yanked to discipline and control the dog. Others insist on the exact opposite.
Some focus on getting things right from the very beginning, but others believe that you cann re-teach most things properly later as the dog's general skill improves...

The thing is:
They all work.
Everybody's successful.

The TV guys demonstrate astounding results in even the most extreme cases (no doubt, this is somewhat manipulated for TV, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt).
The trainers we've met in person have held years and years of successful classes with "everyday" dogs and owners.

How can multiple "formulas for success" be not just different but actually conflict with one-another? If there are multiple right ways and multiple wrong ways, it can't actually be much of a "formula", can it?

Sure, it's largely semantics, but what we're really seeing are "methods" for success. It's an important distinction:

A formula is one-of-a-kind. It always leads to the same result. It's predictable and controllable.

A method can be one-of-many. Its outcome is usually quite reliable, but any number of variables can have an effect on its progress and results.

Neither is better or worse than the other, of course, but it's important to know which you're dealing with in any particular situation.

If I'm approaching a problem with a formula, I need to have a huge amount of data available. I need to be certain that my problem will fit within the formula's parameters. And I have to be willing to stick to the formula until the very end, no matter what happens along the way.

If I'm using a method to solve my problem, I gain the benefit of improvisation and flexibility in the face of the unknown. But, my chances of success drop significantly as I move away from the known.

I'd be curious to hear which marketing activities people believe can rely on Formulas vs. which ones should be approached with Methods.



Public Service Announcement: If you're thinking of getting a pet, please visit your local animal shelter rather than buying from a breeder. Our pal Ozzie is from the BC SPCA, and we wouldn't hesitate to return there for another pet.

No comments: