Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's a nice change... I guess... Kinda...

Okay, this one isn't "bad branding" so much as "confusing expenditures on a brand's visual identity".

I've noticed lately that some of the local Safeway stores have started changing their logos. Not a small task for such a big chain. There's various signage outside the store, in-store POS displays, packaging, advertising, etc. etc. etc.

I totally respect and appreciate a brand's need to evolve and freshen their visual ID from time to time. But, well, here's the change:

Old logo:


New logo:

As you can see - massive changes! Will anyone even recognize the new one?

Seriously though, I like the new version, but I wonder why this change is being undertaken. I get the sense that the transition has been going on for a while now, probably a multi-year strategy. But it's probably also the type of thing that could easily be put on hold. Is this really a major priority for the company right now?

If Safeway is continuing with the transition because they're being proactive, attempting to counteract negative perceptions of the overall economy, and trying to appear as the fresh, modern, not-at-all-in-any-danger-of-going-bankrupt supermarket chain, that's great. I applaud them for pushing forward when other brands are retrenching.

On the other hand, I can't help but wonder if they're simply spending money on the rebrand because it's time for one... "The project has started, it's in the budget, so we may as well stay on track". Or worse, because of someone's ego, or some other whim.

I haven't been able to find any public explanation of the change and its timing. I'd love to hear any insight anyone might have.

No comments: