Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Converting - Part 1

After 20-or-so years of avoiding Apple products, I'm considering a MacBook for my next computer.

Three main things that have kept me from Apple in the past:

1. Bad history. My first experiences with Macs involved trying to use them at school in the 80s. They were slow, black-and-white, and didn't really do much. At the same time, I had PCs at home that could do all sorts of amazing things in full colour (or whatever passed for "full" colour at the time - probably EGA). The so-called better interface never had a chance to impress me. Or maybe I was just used to DOS by then and didn't need a pretty GUI.
Over the years, additional attempts to use Macs were similarly disappointing. The original iMac was a mediocre computer in a fancy case, for example. Simple little things like the lack of a second mouse button drove me nuts.

2. Price. Even if Apple products were better, the amount better never seemed to justify the extra cost. I just knew that much of the pricetag was going towards the pretty housing, slick (but unnecessary) animations, etc. The benefits of everything being proprietary (basically, the fact that the various components would work together nicely) didn't override its resulting expense nor compensate for the lack of flexibility and options. Lack of viruses and a nicer interface don't mean much if they cost me an extra thousand dollars.

3. Apple fans. Hardcore Apple customers have always been a little annoying. To the point where I actually avoided Apple just to avoid being one of them or to give them any sense of satisfaction from converting someone.
They're perfectly wonderful people most of the time , but as soon as you try to talk with an Apple customer about technology, branding, design, or other areas where Apple stands out, they turn in to some sort of religious fanatic. Not only could Apple do no wrong, but nothing Microsoft, IBM, Compaq, or other related companies did was any good.
Any time someone got even a minor virus, the Apple people had to speak up. If a PC advertisement was made using an Apple product, you were always sure to hear about it.
Even when an Apple product failed miserably or the company did something stupid, they would find the silver lining. Newton wasn't successful... well, at least the company tried something new and helped launch the PDA concept! iPod batteries don't work very well... but the company was willing to replace them!

So, that's the perspective I'm coming from.
Up next: A comparison of my current options.

3 comments:

Tzaddi said...

I've been trying to get used to my Mac lately, after having one for a long time but only using it occasionally.

I *so* relate with #3. Argh!! And the constant claim that Macs are just so much easier is baffling to me. Some things are, some things aren't.

Re: #2, I find some "slick animations" annoying when they make interaction take longer than it needs to. Though some improve the interaction by communicating something you need to know.

One peeve with Mac is that you can only resize windows by dragging the bottom right corner. Seems stupid to me.

I'm still getting used to shortcuts. Seems like the keys for cycling through windows (cmd-tilde) don't work in all apps.

If you do make the switch, good luck with it!

Tzaddi said...

Oh, other peeve: can't arrow through buttons in a pop up alert window, e.g. "do you want to save before closing?"

I don't know if there is another way to switch between the chosen option, but having to use the mouse to say "don't save" or whatever the non-default choice is, is a PITA.

Malaivel Hospital said...

Thanks for sharing this post kindly visit us @ HIV/AIDS treatment in India