Thursday, December 13, 2007

Hey, What Kind of Company Is This?

Okay, one more peeve for today.

Does anybody really care that SC Johnson is "A Family Company"?
What on Earth does that mean, anyway? And is it really so important that it hasn't to be mentioned at the end of every ad?

If it's meant as a slogan, it's kind of lame.
If it's meant as a legal disclaimer or description, I just don't get it. Are they worried someone's going to perform a hostile takeover or something? "Oh wait, it's a family company! Never mind, guys. Let's go buy up a different firm!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered about that addition of "a family company" too. I figure they're trying to ply the customer with warm ideals of family, "from our family to yours" type thing, as if they're as fuzzy and friendly and close as the local farm. Also...if they're a "family" company they should be trusted, ie you should spend your money with them. Personally though, a "family company" doesn't swing me and rather strikes me as well...the above. They're trying to pull something over on me to get my $$.